Sunday, March 20, 2011

nostalgia for an era i've never known

this week my grandma {i.e. Gran} was tagged on facebook in a bunch of old photos that i am obsessed with, they are beautiful.  i love how they are black and white, i love the styles of the time {hair and clothing alike}, but mostly i love the people in these photos.  

part of me wishes i could have experienced this time before the age of color television, fast cars, cell phones, wireless internet, digital social networking and video games.  before the time when nearly every person you pass on the street is too busy talking on their cell phone or listening to their ipod to smile friendly or wave hello.  but the other part of me loves checking my email on my iphone throughout the day, listening to music anywhere i go, video-chatting with family and friends across the country, and of course playing angry birds while i wait for a doctors appointment or sit through a boring lecture.  nevertheless, something about these pictures is romantic to me, but i'm sure that's how the past is always remembered.

i think it was either last summer or two summers ago, but my grandparents were telling me and tanner about how when they were newlyweds, their car broke down at the point of the mountain on i-15 and they had to wait over an hour for a car to drive by to get help.  can you even imagine?  we were also  talking to them during the summer about the biggest changes they've experienced in their lifetime, and i can't remember what car my grandma was talking about specifically, but she said she could not imagine technology progressing any further than this car.  {gran, do you remember what i'm talking about?}  which makes me wonder where the world will be fifty years from now, because i cannot imagine anything cooler than smart phones.

anyway, here are some lovely photos you'll enjoy {and i hope it's okay that i'm posting these on my blog...}

stunning woman, gorgeous dress

my grandma and great-grandma

my grandma is on the right and i so wish girls dressed like this still

my cute grandparents

love this one too, how beautiful is she?

grandma, great-grandma, great-grandpa, and great-uncle
i am so grateful to be apart of this family.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, these photos are absolutely stunning! I completely wish girls still dressed like this. Hopefully it comes back in style someday! Also, I totally have nostalgia for bygone times, but then I remember I'd probably die without ipods, cell phones, google search, and my dvr.

    I miss you!

    P.S. I thought I commented on your kidney stone post, but I guess I didn't? I'm so sorry to hear you're going through that again! I hope you get through it quickly, and I can't believe all you had to go through at the Chinese hospital! Seriously? Yikes! At least you won't have to deal with that part again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren! I'm feeling mostly better...it's off and on. Hopefully it will pass this week. And that's exactly how I feel about bygone times! We can still dress like this though, right? right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing! P.S. you look like your grandma, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you look like gran too. i didn't realize how much until these photos were posted! it's been so fun to look at all the family history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet blog. Thank you for the compliments and it has been fun to look at all these old photos. (The car we were talking about was the 1955 Chevy. It was so amazing we couldn't imagine anything more modern.) I like people thinking we look alike. Gran

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute!! i love these pictures. you should send them to danielle. she would die. you and her really may have been born in the wrong era, but i'm glad about that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. how gorgeous is your grandma. seriously. and your grandpa has always been so handsome, especially in his older years. i just love him so much, he's always been one of my favorite people ever. i love seeing these pics-thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you brighton - I've been obsessed with the photos steve put up too. i don't think I've ever clicked "like" so many times in my life!! the second one to the bottom is the one I think looks exactly like you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I didn't know these had been posted on FB. I'm so glad I saw your blog so I could log on and see them. They are amazing. I hope I saw all of them. There are just two collections, right? Totally amazing. I'm nostalgic for that time too. Some of it I was alive for, but most of it I wasn't. It's almost painful to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've been loving these pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look like your grandma especial in the second to last picture! wow isn't it fun to find old photo's of family?! so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete