Friday, July 2, 2010

a midwest summer

It is officially summer break for a good 2 months for me and officially a mini summer break for Tanner for another couple of weeks.  It is so nice for us both of us to have a break from our chaotic schedules at the same time...and what better way to spend (part of) our break than take a vacation to Iowa?  I mean, isn't Iowa the obvious choice for anyone's summer vacation? That's what I always thought anyway.  Well let me tell you, in case you don't believe me, it is hard to beat a midwest summer, and even harder to beat a vacation that involves spending time with family that you haven't seen in six months.

We had so much fun in Iowa.  We went to the new pool everyday, went on bike rides, watched storms roll in every night, witnessed my basement flood (again), almost witnessed the river overflow and flood the town, visited my little sister at her first real job at Tropical Sno, marveled at how tall my little brother is (and how deep his voice is), ate at almost all of my favorite restaurants (and ate home-cooked meals from my mom), went to my cousin's lemonade stand, and watched Glee every night until 2AM.  Overall, I would say the whole thing was refreshing.

Refreshing to be away from school, refreshing to be away from work, and refreshing to be in a place where most people really don't care about the superficial things of life.  I think that is why Iowa is so great to me - when you're there, you don't feel any pressure to be something you're not.  Some might say Iowa is just three years behind, but I think it has somehow preserved a mentality that has been lost by many, one that focuses on the simple things of life.

I didn't take a ton of pictures while I was there for some reason but here are a few we took the morning we left.

(hunter had already gone to scout camp and shea is in italy)












6 comments:

  1. it was a like a vacation for us to have you here. so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You love Iowa so much it took you three times to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha, i know! or maybe we are just horrible packers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is such a cute post!!! it was SO fun to see you guys. and honestly, you nailed the reason I love iowa so much.... NO pressure toward materialism and living in excess. love it - it's even better when tanner and brighton are here

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was so great to see you! i love iowa more when you visit!

    these pictures are so cute! utah certainly wins on panoramic views, though, and amazing hiking, and free thursday concerts, and good restaurants (tho we do have a few now) and tanner's awesome family! you're lucky to have lots of pluses on both ends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. happytape - you are right. i have the best of both worlds, i'll have to make a post on all of my favorite things about utah soon..

    ReplyDelete