Sunday, March 29, 2015

happy list


In my last post, I wrote about how acknowledging and talking about our hard things can make those hard things easier.  I believe this.  I also talked about accepting what is.  I really believe this.  But I also believe in seeking after and acknowledging our happy things, because if we don’t, I’ve found that it’s easy to miss them completely.  I’ve never forgotten advice I heard years ago: joy does not precede gratitude – gratitude precedes joy.  With that in mind, I’ve decided to find one specific thing I’m grateful for each day, and compose a weekly list. 

My happy list:

Monday date nights in Provo

Experiencing an early morning feeling refreshed enough to get out of bed and make smoothies (This only happened because I fell asleep before 9PM the night before)

A husband that drives all the way from SLC to Provo to pick me up, just so I don’t have to commute home alone

A friend who perfectly understands the experience of infertility

Three amazing students who showed up to class for Friday’s peer review and made my job worthwhile. It was such a good hour. I kept thinking, “I really love my job.”

Yard work. It’s weird – I know, but I love weeding, watering, and landscaping.  Saturday was the first time I’ve spent the day in the yard this year.

Sunday naps and coke

No comments:

Post a Comment